Rafael Nadal continues to show no rust in his first tournament since losing the Australian Open final earlier this year.The second-seeded Nadal reached the final of the Mexican Open on Friday night in Acapulco, Mexico, with a 6-1 6-2 victory over Marin Cilic of Croatia.Nadal’s opponent will be American Sam Querry. The 29-year-old dropped the first set against Nick Kyrgios of Australia but held on to win the next two for a 3-6 6-1 7-5 victory.Kyrgios had eliminated top-seeded Novak Djokovic a night earlier.Cilic was no match for the 30-year-old Nadal, who will be seeking his third title in the hard-court event. He previously won the tournament in 2005 and 2013.”I have to be playing well to win like this against a player like Marin, so I’m pleased with the performance,” Nadal said. “I’m happy with my focus in important moments, saving break points with good shots. I enjoyed the atmosphere here, so it’s great for me to be in the final.”Nadal has not fared well in recent years on hard courts. His last championship on the surface came in Doha in January 2014. But he seems to be on top of his game this week, having not lost a set.”Anytime you play against someone like Cilic you expect to suffer in a tight match, but it was not like that,” Nadal said. “I believe that he had his chances, but I played a good game.”Nadal will be seeking his 70th overall title and first this season in Saturday’s final.advertisementThe last meeting between Nadal and Querry came at the 2016 Madrid Open. Nadal has a 4-0 career record against the 29-year-old Querry, who reached the semi-finals in the Mexican Open last year.”Sam is playing great, beating (David) Goffin and (Dominic) Thiem, so he’ll be coming into the match with a lot of confidence,” Nadal said.
Newcastle captain Lascelles expects battle with Fulham striker Mitrovicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United captain Jamaal Lascelles expects a battle facing Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic this weekend.Lascelles has paid tribute to his former team-mate, saying the Serb is “smart and physical” and a tough opponent. He said: “Mitro is a good striker; he’s smart, he’s physical, and he can be a nightmare for centre-halves. And they’ve got a good midfield; they try to play good football, too. But we’re paid to do our job, and they’re coming to St James’ Park, so we’ll be full of confidence.“They’re bottom of the league, but they’ve got some good players in their team.“Every game in the Premier League is a difficult game. There’s not one game where you think, ‘Yeah, we’ll easily beat them.’ So we just need to make sure we prepare in the right way and with the same attitude we did at the weekend.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic: I hear things, I see thingsby Paul Vegas18 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea winger Christian Pulisic is well aware of his doubters.Pulisic admits the criticism has hurt, although he insists the level of expectation which comes with his £58m price tag has not weighed him down.Pulisic said: “You can’t completely ignore it. I don’t live under a rock. I hear things, I see things, but I do my best to block it out. I’m just working hard for myself.“The outside opinions don’t matter as much to me as to what’s in the team and myself and the people who care about me. So I’m just going to keep working and do my best and not worry about it.“This number (£58m) doesn’t mean anything to me. Obviously, I go out and try to give my best every time I’m on the pitch.”I’m not sure what the price tag means to you, but I just have to keep trying to perform at my best for myself and for the team.“I did the best I could with the minutes I got. I tried to help the team as best I could. I guess I’m happy but I going to keep working harder, and I’m never going to stop to try to get more minutes.“The level of competition has been great. Competition in the team can only make me better and I think that’s what makes teams, it’s guys who are maybe not the second or third man, but they are pushing each other in training every single day. That’s what a good team is all about.”
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Celtic striker Odsonne Edouard urged to target Arsenal moveby Paul Vegas5 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveCeltic striker Odsonne Edouard should be targeting a move to Arsenal.That’s according to former Rangers forward Kris Boyd.Edouard has been in fine form for the Glasgow club this season, scoring nine goals and providing five assists in 17 appearances.Boyd isn’t surprised by the reported interest in the Hoops’ star man but believes the 21-year-old should stay put until the likes of Manchester United or Arsenal come calling.He told the Scottish Sun: “For what it’s worth, if it’s the Premier League he heads for, it should be for one of the giants, Manchester United or Arsenal, and not, with respect, to a Brighton or Southampton.“But I’ve got a funny feeling he’ll have to go and prove himself first at one of those clubs.”
United Nations: UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, who has had contacts with the leadership in India and Pakistan, remains very concerned about any potential escalation between the two countries over Kashmir and appeals to both sides to deal with the issue through dialogue, his spokesperson said. Guterres met Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the G7 Summit last month in Biarritz, France and has also spoken to Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi, UN chief’s spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said at a daily press briefing here on Tuesday. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details On Monday, Guterres also met with the Permanent Representative of Pakistan to the UN Maleeha Lodhi on her request over the Kashmir issue. His message to all of them has been the same, both publicly and privately, that he remains very concerned about any potential escalation between India and Pakistan over the situation. He appeals to both sides to deal with the issue through dialogue, Dujarric said. Dujarric was responding to a question on whether Guterres plans to mediate between India and Pakistan on Kashmir during the UN General Assembly session later this month which would be attended by both Modi and Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday You know, the position our position on mediation has, as a matter of principle, has always remained the same, Dujarric said. His comments came as India and Pakistan clashed at the 42nd session of the United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva over the Kashmir issue. The UN chief has maintained that his good offices are available only if both sides ask for it. However, India has made it clear to the international community that the Kashmir issue is an internal matter and there is no need for a third-party mediation. And, as was said by the High Commissioner for Human Rights recently, the situation in Kashmir can only be solved with the full respect of human rights, Dujarric said. Pakistan downgraded its diplomatic relations with India and expelled the Indian high commissioner following the revocation of Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir on August 5. India has categorically told the international community that the scrapping of Article 370 was an internal matter and also advised Pakistan to accept the reality.
NEW YORK, N.Y. – The long, smooth, record-setting ride on Wall Street is over. The stock market pullback that experts had been saying was long overdue has finally come.Investor fears about higher interest rates escalated into rapid, computer-generated selling Monday that wiped out all the market’s gains for the year. At one point, the Dow Jones industrial average dropped 1,000 points in less than an hour, and it ended with its worst day in more than six years. The Standard & Poor’s 500 is now down nearly 8 per cent from its record high, set a little more than a week ago.Market professionals warn that the selling could continue for a bit. But many are also quick to say they see no recession looming, and they expect the strengthening global economy and healthy corporate earnings to help stock prices recover.“The reasons for the increase in rates is the stronger economy,” said Ernie Cecilia, chief investment officer at Bryn Mawr Trust. “The reasons are positive. It’s not as if something like 2008 or financial Armageddon is coming.”The trigger for the sell-off came at the end of last week when a government report showed that wages across the country rose relatively quickly last month. While that’s good for workers, traders took it as a signal that higher inflation may be on the way, which could push the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates more quickly than expected. Higher rates not only make it more expensive for people and companies to borrow, they can also drive investors away from stocks and into bonds.The sell-off Monday was so steep that some market-watchers blamed automated trading systems. These systems are programmed to buy and sell based on several variables, and they may have hit their sell triggers following the first wobble for stock prices after an unusually placid run.That may mean even more volatility in the coming days, something that investors haven’t had to deal with during a blissful year-plus of record-setting returns. Before Monday, the S&P 500 index had gone a record period of time — roughly 400 trading days — without a drop of even 5 per cent.Monday was also the first day in office for the new chairman of the Federal Reserve, Jerome Powell, and investors are wondering how closely he will stick with the low interest-rate policies set by his predecessor, Janet Yellen.Still, many market-watchers said they remain optimistic that stocks will recover.Despite worries about interest rates, they still see a recession as a long shot. With economies growing around the world, profits for U.S. businesses are expected to continue rising, and stock prices tend to follow the path of corporate earnings over the long term.“The rate worries have been the trigger” for the stock market’s swoon, said Melda Mergen, deputy global head of equities at Columbia Threadneedle. “But fundamentally, we don’t see any new news. It’s earnings season, the time that we get more direct feedback from our companies, and we don’t see any concerns.”More than half the companies in the S&P 500 have told investors how they performed in the last three months of 2017, and most have topped analysts’ expectations, according to S&P Global Market Intelligence. Even more encouraging is that more than three quarters of them made more revenue than expected, which means it’s not just cost-cutting and layoffs that are allowing companies to earn more.The White House cited some of those trends Monday and said “long-term economic fundamentals … remain exceptionally strong.”President Donald Trump has frequently commented on gains by the market during his first year in office. He has stayed silent in the face of market gyrations over the past week.If the stock market does indeed bounce back, though, many market-watchers expect returns to be more muted than in prior years because prices have already climbed so high. The S&P 500 is up nearly 292 per cent since bottoming in early 2009.And investors should remember that drops like those of the past two days aren’t a unique occurrence for stocks. They’re inherently risky investments, and investors should be prepared to see drops of 10 per cent. Such declines happen so regularly that analysts have a name for them: a market correction.___Associated Press writer Darlene Superville in Washington contributed to this report.
VANCOUVER – Conifex Timber Inc. says it has reached an agreement with Blue Wolf Capital Partners to buy sawmills in Florida and Arkansas that will increase its lumber production capacity by about 50 per cent to 1.1 billion board feet.The Vancouver-based company says it will pay about $193.1 million in cash for the Suwannee sawmill in Cross City, Fla., and Caddo River sawmill in Glenwood, Ark., plus $64.4 million in shares, the net working capital of the current operator, and warrants.The company says the two mills have a combined dimension lumber capacity of 370 million board feet and will triple its U.S. southeast capacity.Conifex says the mills have seen recent upgrades and modernization, and are complimentary to its sawmill in El Dorado, Ark.The purchase comes as lumber producers benefit from elevated prices buoyed by rising U.S. housing starts, tight supply and softwood lumber duties applied by the United States government.Canfor Corp. announced in February that it was also expanding capacity in the U.S. southeast with the construction of a $155-million sawmill in Washington, Ga.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The ArtsPost in Fort St. John has launched a new artsy initiative for residents to show their support for pipelines and other resource-based economic drivers in Northern B.C.From now until May 17th, the ArtsPost will be giving away free hard hats for residents to paint in order to show their support for the oil and gas, and other northern industries. After May 6th, the hard hats will also be available to pick up at Peace Gallery North in the NPCC.Some of the hard hats available at the Artsport for the Paint A Hard Hat program. Photo by John Luke Kieper. The Artspost is asking residents to paint their hard hats and then bring them back to the Art Gallery by May 17th. Then on May 19th, the Gallery will be hosting a free toast event to the pipeline, hosted by the Fort St. John Arts Council and AAA Safety.Supplied photoTo help give residents some inspiration with their painting, the ArtsPost will be putting on a Free Paint Day this Saturday, May 5th from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Tanya Shymko will be giving attendees some help with their painting, while providing hard hats, paints, and instruction for free.For more information, contact the ArtsPost at (250) 787-2781, or email [email protected]
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Clean up and construction work is scheduled to take place in the Old Fort area.Following the landslide that took place last Fall in the Old Fort, crews from B.C. Hydro & Arctic Arrow Group will be working to remove abandoned Hydro and Telus poles and wire that was damaged during the landslide.The removal of the poles and wire is scheduled to take place from September 25 to the 30, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Also taking place, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure will be working on installing culverts and clearing ditches along Old Fort Road to prevent ponding and flooding.Work is taking place now until October 16, and drivers can expect to experience minor delays during the installation of the culverts.Old Fort work notices can be found on the Peace River Regional District’s website.
Kolkata: Some TMC leaders registered a complaint with Election Commission on Tuesday over publishing Prime Minsiter Narendra Modi on railway tickets. They said the move violated the Model Code of Conduct (MCC).Election Commission officials held a meeting with Railway personnel on Wednesday to discuss the issue and also gave out some instructions. It was also learnt from sources that the EC officials have spoken to some Central force officials after they received complaints from the ruling party in the state accusing them of intimidating the voters in some parts of the city. There was, however, no official confirmation on the outcome of the meeting by any election officials in the state. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaIt may be mentioned here that the Commission will distribute leaflets both in Bengali and English among the presiding officers on what steps they would have to follow regarding the poll process. The leaflets will provide a detailed outlines what the presiding officials are supposed to do if any EVMs or VVPATs malfunctions. The Election Commission has already received 1,151 complaints through National Grievance Service, out of which 456 had been resolved and 1,511 complaints from the citizens out of which 556 have been resolved. Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayThe Commission has also received 1,268 complaints through the C-Vigil app and action steps have been taken on 789 complaints already, a senior official at the CEO office said on Wednesday. The official said they have received the nomination from an independent candidate in Cooch Behar and another nomination from the Trinamool Congress candidate in Alipurduar, which would go to polls in the first phase. A BSP candidate filed nomination at Jalpaiguri that would go to polls in the second phase.