Deadly Times Square attack highlights NYC pedestrian safety

first_img Published: May 20, 2017 11:03 AM EDT NEW YORK (AP) Fears of a terrorist attack prompted officials to ring many of the pedestrian plazas of Times Square with squat steel posts capable of stopping a speeding vehicle.But those barriers only cover so much ground. There were none of them Thursday at the corner where a man steered his car onto a busy sidewalk and began barreling through crowds of pedestrians, running down 23 people and killing one before one of the metal posts finally stopped him.The bollard that stopped the car driven by Richard Rojas likely saved lives by preventing it from entering an even more densely packed pedestrian plaza, and some New Yorkers are wondering whether the barriers should be deployed on many more sidewalks, much as they are now at sports stadiums and airports nationwide.“We can and should do more to keep our residents and visitors safe on our streets and street design is the first place to start,” said Ydanis Rodriguez, a city councilman from Manhattan who chairs the transportation committee. He called for the installation of more bollards at the ends of city sidewalks in busy areas.Last year, city officials installed 200 custom-made bollards in the Times Square area, enlisting the California-based Calpipe Security Bollards to manufacture and help design special 8 ½-inch diameter (22 centimeter) hunks of metal that are embedded in the ground and spaced about 4 feet (1 meter) apart, said Rob Reiter, the company’s security consultant.The bollards come equipped with special locks that firefighters can undo so they may be removed in an emergency. In Times Square, they are embedded no more than 18 inches (46 centimeters) into the ground, a necessity given the subway station just beneath the city’s surface.Still, that was enough of an anchor to abruptly stop Rojas’s Honda Accord, which was tossed into the air and wound up on its side, smoking, after running into a line of the barriers.“You always want to make a vehicle hit two barriers; that way no barrier can fail,” Reiter said. “You have to space for two considerations: vehicle stopping and pedestrian access.”City officials didn’t say how many bollards have been installed in recent years.In a radio interview Friday with WNYC’s Brian Lehrer, Mayor Bill de Blasio said police officials are “evaluating” whether new security measures, including the installation of more bollards, are necessary.“And we’re going to look at Times Square and see – obviously we’ll look at some other key locations – if we have to do different things in our approach,” he said.Joseph Rosetti, vice chairman of Guidepost Solutions, a security consulting firm, said bollards became the “in vogue thing” in recent decades, after a series of incidents in which disgruntled employees crashed their cars into the lobbies of office buildings.They’ve since become ubiquitous – some even look like flower planters – though Rosetti cautioned that there is no way to fully fortify a heavily trafficked public place such as Times Square, noting that some people have even called for the elimination of car traffic in the Crossroads of the World.“There’s always a balance between security and trying to facilitate commerce,” he said.Defenses against vehicle attacks have gotten extra attention in the past year because of terror assaults in England, Germany and France by people who drove vehicles into crowds.Rojas, the driver in the Times Square incident, made his first court appearance Friday.He is charged with murder and attempted murder.He didn’t enter a plea and was held without bail. His lawyer didn’t comment. Related Articles:Car plows into Times Square crowd; 1 dead, several hurtTimes Square driver wanted to ‘kill them all’ Author: Associated Press Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Deadly Times Square attack highlights NYC pedestrian safety SHARElast_img read more

Match ban for senior official, two players

first_imgBy Fidelis Sukina A senior official with the Enga Mioks team has been suspended from the remaining 18 matches of the 2018 Digicel Cup season. Competition manager Stanley Hondina made the revelations at a press conference yesterday. Two others have also been suspended. Joseph Kipi was suspended for using threatening words during the Mioks and Waghi Tumbe match in Wabag last weekend. “Joseph Kipi is the assistant team manager for the Mioks. He used some threatening words during the game and the match review committee also had some reports of him doing the same last year on two occasions and was put on notice. This time the match review committee and the judiciary have stopped him from all remaining 18 matches in the 2018 season. Their franchise manager Sam Koi was cited of saying some words but the match review committee saw that it did not warrant any suspension and was given a strongly worded warning letter. “This will send a message to those that think they are smart to talk offensively to the referee whether it is an official or a player. There is no room for that the game has moved on from that … our mindset and attitude has to change,” he said. Hondina also pointed out two other incidences that have seen the suspension of two players – one from Waghi Tumbe and the other from Lae Tigers team. “A late tackle from Waghi Tumbe Mosley Tika on Enga Mioks’ Roger Laka, was reviewed by the committee as a grade three reckless high tackle according to the Judiciary code of procedure which seeds him take on 400 demerit points which means for every 99 points it’s a one-week match ban so he has 400 points but with an early guilty plea that removes 100 points, so he will have to serve three weeks suspension, but his points will carry over. “The game in Port Moresby we had incidences where players and officials were verbally attacking the referee after the game. We have systems and processes in place. If you are unhappy with the performance of the referee, there a proper channels and procedures in place but do not face off with the referee. “Paul Kambi from the Tigers was not playing but was part of the team and said some abusive words to the referee and was reviewed and charged with a detrimental conduct charge which is a charge for an incident outside of the field. It was grade two charge which is 225 points and with an early guilty plea that removes 100 points he will serve a match suspension and his points will carry over. “This incident happened outside the field but we won’t be letting it go he is part of the team and is a registered player. “The Wahgi Tumbe and the Snax Tigers have accepted the charges but the Mioks are yet to come back to us and they have 24 hours to do so,” Hondina said.last_img read more

Tottenham and Everton keeping an eye on 21-year-old midfielder – €25m…

first_imgWith the Lyon starlet is expected to leave the Ligue 1 side before the end of the month, the French side will have to eventually replace him.Among the names the French side are looking at, according to L’Equipe, is Toulouse’s Ibrahim Sangaré, who has caught the eye of a number of Premier League clubs, including Everton, after racking up 53 league appearances at the tender age of 21.Capable of playing in front of the defence or stretch his legs in a more box to box role, the Ivory Coast international could be one of the names the Toffees have on their list in case of an Idrissa Gueye departure, but they will face competition.Outside of Lyon, Southampton and Arsenal are also said to have scouted him, as have… Tottenham.Embed from Getty ImagesAs L’Equipe point out, the player is often compared to Yaya Touré, and we all know the success story the former Manchester City midfielder was in England’s top-tier during his best years.The French newspaper explain the young starlet has been given the green light to leave, but only in 2020.However, the real truth is that an offer close to what Toulouse received for Issa Diop last year (around €25m) could change their mind.There’s no indication that either Everton or Tottenham will make a move for the defensive midfielder, but if the Toffees receive €30m+ for Gueye over the next couple of months and agree to sell him, then Sangaré could be a quick and relatively cheap fix to sort out.by Taboolaby TaboolaSponsored LinksSponsored LinksPromoted LinksPromoted LinksTrending TodayForge of Empires – Free Online GameChallenge Your Brain With This Must-Play Strategy Game. No Install.Forge of Empires – Free Online GameUndoDating.comThe Most Handsome Guys In Hong Kong On This Dating SiteDating.comUndoHero WarsGetting this Treasure is impossible! Prove us wrong!Hero WarsUndoRaid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadEven Non-Gamers Are Obsessed With This RPG Game (It’s Worth Installing!)Raid: Shadow Legends | Free DownloadUndoPerfect-Dating.comThousands of successful men are looking for women in Tung ChungPerfect-Dating.comUndoSmart Tech TrendSelf Adjusting Glasses Take Hong Kong by StormSmart Tech TrendUndoMisterStocksUnbelievable and Funny Photos Taken At The SubwayMisterStocksUndoMoneyscapesAfter 72 procedures, he had one more bizarre wish — but the doctor said: “I have to tell you something”MoneyscapesUndoLoans | Search AdsNeed a loan? Search hereLoans | Search AdsUndo Heavily linked with Tanguy Ndombélé in these early days of the transfer window, Tottenham have made it clear they are on the lookout for extra men in midfield.last_img read more

Alex Ovechkin Named NHL’S First Star for Week of Dec. 10-16

first_imgHe is now the leader in goals for the season with twenty nine goals in thirty two games. He also has a career high fourteen game point streak.  On Decemeber 11th against the Detroit Red Wings, Ovechkin earned his twenty first career hat trick in Washington’s 6-2 win. It would be only three days later and the very next game, that Ovechkin earned his twenty second hat trick in a 6-5 shootout win on the road, against the Carolina Hurricanes. This was Ovechkin’s second back to back hat tricks, as he accomplished this achievement in the first two games on the 2017-18 season. In Washington’s third game of the week, Ovechkin earned his seventh goal of the week, during the second period of the Caps matchup against the Buffalo Sabres. He would go on to score the game winning shoot out goal and Washington won 4-3. The NHL announced today that Alex Ovechkin was named the First Star Of The Week for the week ranging from Dec. 10-16. In only three games he scored seven goals and back to back hat tricks. Ovechkin led his team to a 3-0-0 perfect week and five game winning streak.center_img The NHL named Winnipeg Jets Mark Schiefele second star with five goals and eleven points.  Jack Eichel of the Buffalo Sabres  earned third star with five goals and nine points this week. Please follow and like us:last_img read more

Things To Do

first_imgSierra Club hike to Mission Peak by moonlight will meet, 7 p.m. Wednesday at the trailhead in San Fernando Valley. Call Gaylon Rodin at (661) 263-0568 or Henry Schultz at (661) 284-5613 for information or directions. By the Light of the Silvery Moon hike, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Wednesday at Towsley Canyon, 24255 The Old Road, Newhall. Call (661) 255-3606. Michael John & The Bottom Line will perform at the Jazz & Blues concert series, 7-9:30 p.m. Friday outside the Hyatt Valencia on the corner of Town Center Drive and McBean Parkway, Valencia. Call (661) 290-2911. Excelencia Awards Gala will recognize Hispanic businesses, 6-10 p.m. Friday at the Hyatt Valencia, 24500 Town Center Drive, Valencia. Call Felicia Scorse at (661) 702-6977. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los Angeles“Fear Factor” Hang Loose Night for disabled adults, 7-9 p.m. Friday at the LETMESAIL Lifestyle Enrichment Center, 28304 Constellation Road, Valencia. Call (661) 702-8555 or visit www.letmesail.org. Ride of Silence will honor the memory of cyclists who have been killed or injured on the road, 7:30 a.m. Saturday beginning at Canyon Country Park, 17615 Soledad Canyon Road, Canyon Country. Call (661) 252-4993 or e-mail [email protected] Sierra Club hike to Los Pinetos will meet, 9 a.m. at the Walker Ranch entrance to Placerita Canyon Nature Center, 19152 Placerita Canyon Road, Newhall. Call Gaylon Rodin at (661) 263-0568. Bird Walk, 9-11 a.m. Saturday at Placerita Canyon Nature Center, 19152 Placerita Canyon Road, Newhall. Call (661) 259-7721. Tesoro Adobe Historic Park is open to the public, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. every Saturday with guided tours of the Harry Carey/Farmer John Ranch House, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Call (661) 702-8953. Family Nature Walk, 11 a.m.-noon, and an animal presentation, 1-2 p.m. every Saturday at Placerita Canyon Park and Nature Center, 19152 Placerita Canyon Road, Newhall. Call (661) 259-7721. CLEAR (Community and Law Enforcement Aware Response) fundraiser will feature food, live entertainment and an opportunity to register for the program, 3-11 p.m. Saturday at The Londoner, 18511 Soledad Canyon Road, Canyon Country. Live entertainment begins at 9 p.m. Call Lisa Prather at (661) 755-4813.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more