NNSA News:This afternoon a National Nuclear Security Administration spokesperson addresses the situation regarding the recent discovery of legacy waste materials on DP Road.The spokesperson explained that at the request of Los Alamos County, NNSA’s Radiological Assistance Program Team responded Thursday, Feb. 20, to a Los Alamos County-owned tract of land on DP Road to evaluate legacy materials that were unearthed Friday, Feb. 14.A contractor for the County was digging on land transferred in January 2018 to the County from the Department of Energy. During excavation, the contractor found some metal objects and called the County’s hazardous materials team. The spokesperson said that the team responded to the site to begin gathering information.“Analysis of samples near the dig indicate uranium- and plutonium-contaminated materials at levels that do not pose a public health risk,” the spokesperson said. “Entry to the area is restricted and signs are posted designating the site as radiologically controlled. Since coming onto the scene to provide assistance, we have worked with the County to control access to the area and are continuing our assessment. There is no public health risk related to this event. Plastic tarps cover the areas to stabilize the soil and materials while analysis continues. As an additional precautionary measure, we have re-activated a nearby air monitor and will install additional monitoring equipment.”
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270. Subscribe
The Law Society has opened applications for its Diversity Access Scheme (DAS), aimed at law students facing social, educational, financial or personal obstacles to qualification. The scheme involves the chance to gain a Legal Practice Course scholarship, work experience and mentoring. Previous DAS alumni have experienced time in local authority care, resisted coercion into arranged marriage, and battled for access to university and work experience with severe physical disabilities and illnesses. The application process for 2011/12 is open until 31 March. Last year’s scheme received 175 applications, from which 25 were admitted. The Law Society, with the continued support of sponsors, aims to increase the number of awards every year. Law Society President Linda Lee said: ‘These are very inspirational and gifted people who have triumphed against the odds to follow their dreams. The Law Society is delighted to be in a position to assist them on their way to life long success. ‘It is important to the Society and the wider profession that becoming a solicitor is open to all those who can meet our high standards irrespective of financial means. The solicitors’ profession is a meritocracy where hard work and talent should be the keys to success.’ For more information and an application form can be found on the Law Society page.
The London-based TT Club has issued an appeal to worldwide operators of quay cranes of all types and dimensions to establish a regular sequence of maintenance and thorough examination of all the lifting appliances they utilise in the face of a disturbing number of major structural failures in port equipment in recent years.Not only can this type of equipment failure be very costly in terms of repairs and operational downtime but can result in serious accidents and injuries, says the club.Laurence Jones, TT Club’s global risk assessment director, stresses how essential it is for operators of ports and cargo handling facilities to maintain a regular sequence of maintenance.”Provisions for such examinations are specified in ILO Convention 152 and its accompanying Code of Practice, and represent the international standard for the port industry. The purpose of a thorough examination is to make sure a crane can continue working safely and effectively, and a crucial element of this with regard to a quay crane is the safety of its structure,” Jones emphasised.The club recommends that independent examinations are always performed when procuring any type of crane as the ILO Convention requires that before being brought into commission for the first time, lifting appliances are tested and a thorough examination carried out. Damage resulting from relatively minor impacts, regular heavy lifts close or equal to the safe working load limits, intensive use or simply general wear and tear can affect the integrity of the crane’s structure. Often such operational issues can occur without anybody being aware, so regular examinations need to be conducted.
Ashieka Frantz enjoyed the sunset before setting off on her big night. Manenberg High School hosted its matric ball on Friday September 13. Zhane Visagie looked dazzling in her red dress. 1 of 2 Ashieka Frantz enjoyed the sunset before setting off on her big night. Ashieka Frantz enjoyed the sunset before setting off on her big night.
BT’s legal subsidiary reduced losses to £9,000 in its first year trading as an alternative business structure, accounts have revealed.BT Law Limited brought in £75,000 in revenue for the year ending 31 March 2014, compared with £15,000 the year before.The company, wholly owned by the telecommunications giant, had made a pre-tax loss of £77,000 in 2012/13 but cut that figure to £9,000 in 2013/14.BT Law was granted an ABS licence by the Solicitors Regulation Authority in March 2013, initially to offer claims-handling services involving BT’s own vehicles.In accounts filed with Companies House, it was revealed the company is handling more than 6,000 motor claims a year from a fleet of 45,000 commercial and non-commercial vehicles.In addition, it offers legal services in 5,800 public liability claims and 350 employers’ liability accident and disease claims.The company reports it is offering employment law advice to a UK-wide workforce of 89,000 and handling 300 tribunal claims for external clients.It also uses BT’s in-house team of more than 110 legal and support staff to provide services to external clients.The accounts say the directors are satisfied the company will continue to receive financial backing from the BT group for at least the next year.The launch of BT Law followed on from its acquisition of legal technology provider Tikit.When ABS status was granted, BT said it would focus on motor claims, with plans to grow over the coming years and expand into public liability and employment law. The accounts suggest these plans have been accelerated.The new business unit opened offices in three locations: London, Bletchley and Sheffield, and appointed BT’s former head of litigation Miles Jobling as director.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedIn As the public will be aware STORM FRANK will bring a period of windy and very wet weather over the next 24 to 48 hours.This is has been a record breaking month for rainfall in some parts of the UK, with exceptional amounts of rain falling onto already saturated ground.During this period of unsettled weather, people are advised to stay up to date with the latest Met Office forecasts and National Severe Weather Warnings and find out what to do in severe weather so they can plan ahead for the weather in store.Throughout this unsettled spell the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service are working round the clock with our partners to keep the public safe and allow them to plan and prepare for the expected weather.The main risks normally associated with weather patterns such as this are flooding and loss of power due to the wind and rain. As a result the public may find themselves in a situation where their homes are affected.The Fire Service would like to remind anyone who finds themselves without power or water entering the home that they can take a few simple steps to ensure, they are not placed in any additional risk from fire.When using candles never leave them unattended and make sure you blow them out when you leave the house or go to bed.■Make sure that when in use, candles are secured in a proper holder and away from materials that may catch fire – like curtains, Christmas trees, decorations and toys.■Children and pets should not be left alone with lit candles.■Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.■Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.■Don’t move candles once they are lit■Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use.■Do not burn several candles close together as this might cause flaring (mainly with tea-lights).■Always make sure tea-lights are placed in a proper holder. The foil container which tea lights come in can get very hot. They can melt through plastic, such as a bath, and have the potential to start a house fire.■Use a snuffer or a spoon to put out candles. It’s safer than blowing them out when embers can fly.The public can get further information on safety when using candles by using the link below;We are not trying to get on your wick but remember to stay safe around candles. http://www.firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/festive-safety/candles.aspxIf your home suffers a loss of power or is flooded and you are using portable heaters to heat or dry out your home here are some simple tips to keep you safe; Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes. Unplug or switch off portable heaters when you go out or go to bed. Secure portable heaters in position to avoid the risk of them being knocked over. Only use gas or paraffin heaters in well-ventilated areas. Heaters consume oxygen and in enclosed spaces can produce harmful gases and/or cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Fit a Carbon Monoxide detector in all rooms containing gas or paraffin heaters. Never use portable gas cylinder heaters in high rise flats Always change gas cylinders in the open air. Never change gas cylinders in an enclosed space.SFRS would like you to have a very happy, safe Christmas and New Year. If you or someone you know is vulnerable or may be at risk from fire please get in touch and arrange a FREE home fire safety visit with local firefighters by calling 0800 0731 999 or visit www.firescotland.gov.ukA wide range of tips on how to keep yourself and your home safe from fire are available on the SFRS website: www.firescotland.gov.uk/winterFurther information from partners on the severe weather is available;The Environment Agency updates its flood guidance every 15 minutes on its website at http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31618.aspx, and you can follow the Environment Agency on Twitter at @EnvAgency and look us up on Facebook.SEPA flood updates are available at http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/
South Africa has been named the best value long haul holiday destination for Brits according to the United Kingdom’s annual Post Office report. The report surveys prices in 34 resorts and cities around the world.Cape Town overtook Bali for the first time, Bali having been at the top for three years before a price hike in 2016.According to the report, for a ‘basket’ of 10 tourist items, including drinks and meals, Cape Town was significantly cheaper than Bali. The report further says that the cost of eating out in Bali has boomed by over 50% in the past 12 months.Tourist prices are now 28% higher than in Cape Town, the report said, BusinessTech reports. Tokyo was ranked third (£63.87), followed by Kenya’s Mombasa coastline (£69.41) and Colombo, Sri Lanka (£70.61).